Share this:

Like this:

Like Loading...
" />

NASCAR: Friday Daytona Notebook

by racedaysaeditor | Posted on Friday, February 13th, 2026

By Holly Cain and Reid Spencer, NASCAR Wire Service

NASCAR OEM representatives discuss hopes for 2026 season

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — After watching Thursday night’s America 250 Florida Duels at Daytona, Dr. Eric Warren, vice president of global motorsports competition for General Motors, was impressed with the drivability of the new Chevrolet body style.

The NASCAR Cup car’s ability to push and bump-draft? Let’s just say the jury is still out.

“Excited to see how the 3 (Austin Dillon) was able to move through there (in the first Duel),” said Warren during a Friday press conference that included representatives from all four NASCAR manufacturers. “But the second Duel (won by Chevrolet driver Chase Elliott), I was really excited about to see our cars really be able to get to the front and watching Carson (Hocevar) and Chase run together there a little bit.

“We watched (Ford drivers) Ryan (Blaney) and (Joey) Logano really make that two-car bump really kind of work. We haven’t been able to do that. They were certainly able to do that last year.”

The proof will come when all 41 cars race together in Sunday’s DAYTONA 500 (2:30 p.m. ET on FOX, MRN and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio).

“When you get all the cars there, the momentum is a little different with the full field versus the Duels, so I’ve learned over the years that whatever you take from those Duels is not necessarily what happens when everybody is there,” Warren said.

“But certainly, promising for what we intended coming into Daytona with the new car.”

Kevin Kidd, North American Motorsports competition director for Stellantis, affirmed the Ram brand’s readiness to compete in the NASCAR CRAFTSMAN Truck Series as well as adding the assurance that Dodge intends to race in the NASCAR Cup Series in the future.

“Don’t have anything ready to announce on that today, but it’s certainly part of the discussion internally,” Kidd said. “It’s looking at what the future brings for us. We have not made any qualms about it. We aim to get back in the Cup Series. It’s really a matter of what the right timing is and what that looks like.

“You’re racing against the best in the world here, so we have to build an incredible amount of infrastructure to go Cup racing. It’s one thing to go Truck racing. It’s a whole different can of worms to go Cup racing. For us, there is a strategy that we’re currently developing to figure out what all that looks like and what the timing looks like behind that.

“Again, nothing ready to announce today, but I can tell you that we are working towards it.”

Pat DiMarco, NASCAR program manager for Ford Racing, acknowledged the Blue Oval teams expect to do better in 2026.

“I’d say ’25 was a miss for us,” DiMarco said. “Anytime you don’t win, you reflect on that. Not having anybody in the final four at Phoenix was a miss.

“There were some highlights, though. Ryan Blaney was consistent and one of the best drivers all year long, and the way the playoff format plays out, he just didn’t make it…

“But looking forward to a great ’26 and more consistency across the board, which I think with the RFK (Roush Fenway Keselowski) cars running up front (Thursday) night, Ryan Preece with the win at the Clash. I think there’s some upside for ’26 for the Ford Motor Company.”

In the Toyota camp, Toyota Racing Development president Tyler Gibbs was pleased with the manufacturer’s effort during the 2025 season, a campaign that could have been even better had a late caution not deprived Denny Hamlin of a chance to win the Cup Series title.

“We were 90 seconds from a great year,” Gibbs said. “A lot of fun over the course of the season, worked hard in the off-season getting ready for this year, and kind of building on what we had last year. We’ve only got one new crew chief this year, same drivers as last year.

“So, building on what we had last year and coming out one spot better this year is really the goal and what we are looking for.” –Reid Spencer

Chase Elliott hopes to add a champion’s name to DAYTONA 500 winners list

Chase Elliott, winner of Thursday’s night’s second Duel, met with reporters Friday morning for a candid discussion about the sport and his expectations for the weekend’s season-opening DAYTONA 500 (2:30 p.m. ET Sunday on FOX, MRN and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio).

Chase Elliott. (Photo by James Gilbert/Getty Images)

It’s a race that only two of the seven NASCAR Cup Series champions entered this weekend have ever won.

The short list of champs who have won the DAYTONA 500 includes Team Penske’s Joey Logano (2015) and Legacy Motor Club’s Jimmie Johnson (2006 and 2013). And although Logano now owns three season titles, when he scored his Daytona victory 11 years ago, he wasn’t a season champion yet.

“It’s always been kind of a lottery in some capacity and you have to have a lot of things go your way,” Elliott said of scoring a win in the sport’s grandest race.

“And there’s positives and negatives to that. It’s produced a lot of great underdog stories that you wouldn’t have if it wasn’t that way. I think it’s just the nature of the race, and honestly it’s been that way since I’ve been around.

“There’s just not a lot once the race gets going that’s in your hands, but there are some things, and it’s important to try and execute those things, whatever they are—no matter how big or how small they are—to the best of your ability.”

Two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion Kyle Busch will be starting the No. 8 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet from pole position for the first time in his career, hoping his 21st DAYTONA 500 start will be the charm.

Elliott, the 2020 series champion will start the No. 9 Hendrick Motorsports on the second row alongside Logano in the No. 22 Team Penske Ford. Logano’s teammate, 2023 champ Ryan Blaney will roll off fifth in the No. 12 Penske Ford.

Two-time and reigning series champion Kyle Larson starts eighth, and 2012 champion Brad Keselowski lines up ninth on the starting grid—both also racing for their first trophy.

“You’re just hedging your bet, doing everything you can to put the numbers as much in your favor as you can, and from there you have to have some things go your way,” Elliott said. “From our standpoint, that’s all we can do.

“Unfortunately, that hasn’t worked out to this point but also really fortunate to have another opportunity with HMS and come down to my 11th DAYTONA 500, and every time I’ve driven through the tunnel I know I have a shot. I know I have a shot when I get here, so what else can I ask for.” – Holly Cain

Joey Logano says ‘Driver beware’ in Sunday’s DAYTONA 500

Joey Logano believes Sunday’s DAYTONA 500 (2:30 p.m. ET on FOX, MRN and SIRIUSXM NASCAR Radio) is likely to be a wild affair—and that’s from the guy who won Thursday night’s first America 250 Florida Duel at Daytona qualifying race.

Joey Logano. (Photo by Sean Gardner/Getty Images)

In other words, drivers can bump-draft at their own peril, even on the straightaways.

“I think the whole field has learned that pushing each other is pretty sketchy,” Logano said after taking the checkered flag. “I was thinking about it driving over here (to the media center). The DAYTONA 500 could be a total wreck-fest, ’cause if you think about the Duels, it’s a heat race, and everyone is like, ‘Don’t tear up your car, get what you can out of it, but don’t crash.’

“We wrecked a lot of stuff (in the first Duel). That’s everyone not racing for the DAYTONA 500, so… Say a prayer. It’s going to be crazy.”

Even though Logano and Team Penske teammate Ryan Blaney worked well together to finish 1-2, Logano was concerned about drivers’ ability to push each other, particularly when they’re not driving the same manufacturer’s cars.

“Everyone’s ‘push-ability’ seems awful,” said Logano, the 2015 DAYTONA 500 winner. “I didn’t see any car that was taking a push that was, like, comfortable on the straightaways. A lot of cars were just squirrelly, right? I haven’t watched replays yet, but all the wrecks happened on the straightaways. I’m assuming that’s from pushes more times than not. I’m assuming everyone’s push-ability is weak.” –-Reid Spencer

Chase Briscoe says virtual bald look will become reality soon enough

During the offseason, Joe Gibbs Racing driver Chase Briscoe took to social media and AI to present himself with a freshly shaved head, a la Joey Logano.

Chase Briscoe. (Photo by James Gilbert/Getty Images)

In Briscoe’s case, the bald head wasn’t real, though it created quite a stir on the internet.

To be fair, and as Briscoe freely admits, he doesn’t have a lot of hair to start with.

“I have social media in an uproar normally every single week, because TV shows me during the National Anthem, and people roast me for how bad my hair is—and lack of hair,” Briscoe said.

Accordingly, he decided to take the next step—virtually.

“I felt like I was giving the fans what they wanted,” said Briscoe, who will start from the outside of the front row in Sunday’s DAYTONA 500 (2:30 p.m. ET on FOX, MRN and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio). I was kind of dipping my toe into the bald community. It’s going to happen at some point. It’s inevitable. I’ve been going bald forever, it’s going to happen. I just was trying to dip my toe in and see what the reaction would be.

“I might do it over the offseason. I might randomly show up one week this summer with it all cut off. But it’s going to happen at some point, I can assure you.”

Briscoe acknowledges that the real thing won’t match the AI-generated image.

“The problem is, with the AI thing it looks good, but my head is not that shape,” Briscoe said. “So, it’s going to look totally different when I actually do it. And it’s going to be like the brightest white thing—you’re going to need sunglasses when I take my hat off.”  –Reid Spencer

Yates family honored with Ford Motor Company’s highest award

Ford Motor Company presented renowned NASCAR engine builder Doug Yates and his father, the late Robert Yates with the prestigious Spirit of Ford Award on Friday at Daytona. The honor has only been bestowed 30 times in history and goes to those who have “made a significant contribution to the sport of auto racing on and off the race track.

In its nine seasons competing in NASCAR, Robert Yates Racing (1988-2007) earned 57 wins, three DAYTONA 500 trophies and the 1999 championship with Dale Jarrett. Doug has since carried on the family tradition of success after joining forces with team owner Jack Roush.

Roush Yates Engines have accounted for 449 victories combined in the NASCAR Cup Series, O’Reilly Auto Parts Series and Craftsman Truck Series.

“There are very few people in the world who love Ford Motor Company as much as Doug Yates,” said Edsel B. Ford II, a member of the Ford Motor Company’s board of directors said in presenting the award. “Doug, and his father Robert, symbolize what’s right with the Ford Racing program, but also what is right about the sport of motor racing itself.”  — Holly Cain

NASCAR, POET Biofuels announce official partnership 

NASCAR announced Friday that POET, the world’s largest biofuels producer, will now serve as the “official bioethanol partner” of the sport.

Eric Nyquist, Chief Impact Officer at NASCAR (L) and Jeff Broin, Founder and CEO of POET pose for a photo during the partnership announcement press conference at Daytona International Speedway on February 13, 2026 in Daytona Beach, Florida. (Photo by Jeff Curry/Getty Images)

The company’s plant-based bioethanol serves as a  “cleaner-burning higher-octane alternative to traditional gasoline” with zero life cycle carbon emissions.

“Obviously, this is something that will be subject to great testing and working across the industry,” said NASCAR’s Chief Impact Officer Eric Nyquist. “Ethanol has a nice benefit of bringing higher octane benefits to our fuel.

“Obviously, it’s a cleaner burning element as well that we can bring forward to making important improvements to the efficiency of our fuel and what it brings to the environment.”

NASCAR is the first major motorsports series to use this zero-carbon bioethanol and the company’s visibility in the sport also includes the naming of the POET Restart Zone on all NASCAR-owned tracks. — Holly Cain

FOX’s Mike Joy receives prestigious NMPA Myers Brothers Award

Long-tenured race announcer Mike Joy was presented with the legendary NMPA Myers Brothers Award Friday at Daytona. The FOX Sports NASCAR race announcer follows in the footsteps of other great honorees, including the late Greg Biffle.

NASCAR FOX Sports broadcaster Mike Joy, recipient of the 2025 NMPA Myers Brothers Award poses with broadcast journalist, Danielle Trotta during a press conference at Daytona International Speedway on February 13, 2026 in Daytona Beach, Florida. (Photo by Jeff Curry/Getty Images)

Joy will be covering his 47th Daytona 500 and has been an announcer in the sport in various capacities for 57 years. He started and spent 14 years with MRN before anchoring the first live race telecasts on ESPN (1981) and then TNN (1991).

He has been a pit reporter, worked on both radio and television and since 2001 been the lead announcer on FOX Sports NASCAR. Sunday’s race will be his 24th straight in the FOX Sports booth.

The Myers Brothers award honors individuals or groups for “outstanding contributions” to the sport and is decided by the National Motorsports Press Association (NMPA) membership. — Holly Cain

About the Author